All participants in youth programs must be General Members.
Youth Instructional Skiing
WRNSC teaches children and youth to ski, and also introduces them to training and racing in a fun environment. We deliver instruction in accordance with Nordiq Canada’s programs: Bunnyrabbits, Jackrabbits and Track Attack. Most instruction sessions are held at Rockway Golf Course, Kitchener. We offer lessons for an 8 week period, starting the first week of January. All sessions are weather and snow-dependent. All youth instructional skiers are invited to take part in our club-sponsored Orion races. Orion race fees are included in the youth program costs.
It is important that children ski on modern ski equipment. WRNSC has a pool of ski equipment, and we offer ski fitting and rental events.
All ages that are mentioned below are as of January 1 of the upcoming ski year. Skiers are requested to register in their age group; we will place them in instruction groups depending upon their ski abilities.
Costs are listed on the Pricing page.
Bunnyrabbits is a First Steps program for children aged 4 and 5. Children learn to move and have fun on skis. When they complete the Bunnyrabbit program, children can move confidently on the flat, and can move both uphill and downhill.
- In the winter, Bunnyrabbits meet on Tuesdays from 6:30 to 7:30, as well as Sundays from 1:30 to 3:00
- Bunnyrabbits are required to have a pair of non-wax skis, as well as boots for the Classic ski technique. Rental equipment is available
Jackrabbits is a FUNdamentals program which is for children aged 6 through 8. This program teaches children both techniques of cross-country skiing (classic and skate). We organize skiers into teaching groups, and we do our best to assign skiers of similar age and ability to the same teaching group.
- In the winter, Jackrabbits meet on Tuesdays from 6:30 to 7:30, as well as Sundays from 1:30 to 3:00
- Jackrabbits are required to have a pair of skis, boots, and poles for the Classic ski technique, preferably no wax skis for the young participants, but possibly a waxable ski for the older ones. Rental equipment is available
- Jackrabbits are encouraged, but not required, to try a local or other Southern Ontario race
2020/2021 Leader: Corrie Ballantyne
Track Attack is a Learn-to-Train program which is for children aged 9 and older. We offer three separate streams for skiers aged 9 and older: Junior, Senior, and Racing
Track Attack Junior
- Aimed at ages 9 to 13, with some individual discretion possible
- For Jackrabbit Program Graduates or
- For Track Attack Beginner Graduates or
- For previous Track Attack Juniors
- In the fall, TA Juniors meet on Tuesdays from 6:30 to 7:30 and Sundays from 1:30 to 3:00
- In the winter, TA Juniors meet Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6:30 to 7:30, as well as Sundays from 1:30 to 3;00
- TA Juniors need waxable skis, boots and poles, for Classic and Skate technique, either separate or combi varieties.
- TA Juniors are encouraged, but not required, to participate in Southern Ontario races (Waterloo, Orangeville, Owen Sound, Duntroon), but can also participate in Ontario Cup races
2020/2021 Leader: Jess Sloss
Track Attack Senior and Racing
- Aimed at ages 13 or older, with some individual discretion possible
- For Track Attack Junior Graduates or
- For individuals keen to enter racing at the highschool or club level
- In the fall, TA Seniors/Racers meet on Tuesdays from 6:30 to 7:30 and Sundays from 1:30 to 3:00
- In the winter, TA Seniors/Racers meet Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6:30 to 7:30, as well as Sundays from 1:30 to 3;00
- TA Seniors/Racers need waxable skis, boots and poles for Classic technique, as well as skis, boots, and poles for Skate technique
- TA Seniors/Racers are encouraged to participate in Southern Ontario races (Waterloo, Orangeville, Owen Sound, Duntroon), High School races, as well as participate in Ontario Cup or Provincial Championship races
2020/2021 Leader: Scott Dowling